The historic Esty Ranch is located three miles north of Gunnison, and borders approximately one mile of the Gunnison River in the scenic Gunnison Valley. Esty Ranch is a 457-acre property at an elevation of 7,900 feet that is dedicated to the production of top-quality Timothy and mountain meadow grass hay. The hay produced on Esty Ranch is sold throughout Colorado and other states to feed pleasure and rodeo horses, and is especially valued for prize racehorses.
Originally homesteaded in 1880 by John B. Outcalt, this ranch was owned and operated by the Outcalt, and later Esty, families for over 100 years, resulting in recognition as a Colorado Centennial Farm by the Colorado Department of Agriculture and the Colorado Historical Society.
The Esty Ranch operations consists of approximately 457 deeded acres, which includes extensively flood-irrigated hay fields